Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cake pops are the brain child of Bakerella, no that's not here name but it is her cooking site. This very smart lady has created a new trend in tasty treats.
I have been seeing theses pop up (he he i made a joke) for a while now while looking at different cakeing sites. I have been wanting to try them and so i decided that i would give them a go.
Cake pops are a crumbled cake mixed with frosting, rolled in to balls frozen, poked with a stick and covered in colored chocolate. They are both simple yet fiddly. In my attempt I used a soft vanilla cake recipe and used her suggested frosting. The result as you can see wasn't to bad for my first try.
Problems:
1, my first reaction to tasting one was YUCK!
2, the choc was far too thick, needs thinning.
3, the cake was all squishy and cold

I had intended to take them to life group (salvos bb study) but decided that they weren't good enough. So i put them in my clear cake plate with a dome, that lives on the bench and is there for anyone to eat from. I had expected dad to kindly tell me they were bad and then bin the lot. However he was quit taken by them and ate quiet a few that evening. the next cupple of days other family members had a go and also seemed to like them. It took me a while to work out the problem. the ingredients of the pops are highly milky and as i have a intolerance to lactose i stay away for those sort of products. So the cakes are actually ok to eat, but as i am not used to eating the milk it tasted terrible to me! Strange hey! so my issue is now.... i love baking but how am i to tell if it tastes good! bi think i may have re aquatint my self to the taste of "real" food :O

1 comment:

Hope for us yet said...

They tasted AMAZING. Yum yum yum